Loosen HDB rules for seniors living in private homes

The authorities should consider allowing senior citizens living in private homes to apply for two- or three-room Housing and Development Board flats.

My wife and I are above the age of 60, our two children have moved out, and we are thinking of selling our condominium unit to buy a smaller home and to get some money back for our old age.

However, private homeowners have to sell their home at least 30 months before they can apply for a flat, and we would not want to create any unhappiness for our newly-wed children by staying with them.

The HDB could impose certain conditions. For example, senior citizens would have to sell their private home to obtain the Temporary Occupation Permit and pay a 10-per-cent levy on the price of the flat.

Source : Today – 4 May 2013


Comments are closed.