Monthly Archives: March 2010

Construction work near homes not allowed on Sundays, Public Holidays by Sep 2011

From September 2011, construction work will not be allowed near residential areas on Sundays and Public Holidays.

Environment and Water Resources Minister Yaacob Ibrahim said this change will be phased in to give the construction industry time to adjust.

The number of complaints about construction noise on Sundays and Public Holidays has gone up.

Last year, the National Environment Agency received 14,000 complaints, up from 12,000 the year before, and 9,000 in 2007.

So from September, sites starting work will not be allowed to carry out construction activities from 10pm the night before a Sunday or Public Holiday to 10am that day.

NEA will extend this prohibition to the rest of the day on Sunday and Public Holidays for sites starting work from September 2011.

This is for sites within 150 metres of residential areas and noise sensitive developments.

Right now, only quiet activities like painting and plastering are allowed near residential areas after 10pm.

Source : Channel NewsAsia – 8 Mar 2010

No further measures to cool property market for now: Mah Bow Tan

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan on Monday said the government will not be introducing more measures to cool the market for now.

He was responding to Members of Parliament who raised concerns about property prices, during debate over the ministry’s budget.

Sales of private homes gained momentum in the second half of last year, driving overall prices up by some 1.8 per cent in 2009.

Last month, the government introduced two more anti-speculative measures, on the back of a spike in sales transactions in January.

Mr Mah said that while no further measures will be introduced, the government stands ready to do more if there are signs of overheating in the property market.

He assured that there will be an ample supply of private homes to meet demand over the next two years.

Mr Mah also spoke on freeing up more land for businesses, when several government agencies move out of the central business district to Jurong Gateway and Paya Lebar Central by 2015.

Source : Channel NewsAsia – 8 Mar 2010