Monthly Archives: March 2010

Asian property prices expected to continue to rise despite govt measures

Recent measures to cool the property market in China, Hong Kong and Singapore are seen as the right moves to temper speculation and rapidly rising prices.

Still, industry watchers said that prices will have room to move upwards over the next two years.

This is because interest rates in Hong Kong continue to be low, and high-end property prices in Singapore are still below their peak.

Private home prices in Singapore rose by 24 per cent in the second half of last year, causing the government to step in.

Over in Hong Kong, the government also announced measures to avoid an asset bubble – after property prices rose by some 30 per cent last year.

The Chinese government is also doing its part to cool its red-hot property sector by tightening credit.

Analysts said these moves will limit price growth this year, but overall, they still expect prices to move upwards, even if at a slower pace.

Donald Han, managing director, Cushman & Wakefield, said: “With the introduction of these measures, and the fact that the government is keeping a lookout on the market, they may continue to intervene.

“We would expect the market currently to come down to between 8-15 per cent, depending on what market you are in in Asia Pacific. So it would probably come down by a few percentage points in terms of price increases.”

Analysts note that Singapore’s high-end residential market remains below 2008 peaks by some 20 per cent.

Meanwhile – they also say, the measures are only aimed at moderating the price increases.

Karamjit Singh, managing director, Credo Real Estate, said: “The measures that were announced by the Singapore government on February 19 do not address the root cause of the problem yet. The root cause of the problem is a short-term supply crunch at the lower end of the market, but it definitely helps mitigate the risk of bubbles being formed in the future.”

Experts said the factors set to drive prices higher this year are investors searching for higher yields, continuing hot money inflows and continuing low interest rates causing lower borrowing costs for buyers.

Source : Channel NewsAsia – 2 Mar 2010

STC takes over Chancery Five project

THE Straits Trading Company (STC) is taking over a private developer and its cluster bungalow project at Chancery Lane.

It said on Monday that it would pay an aggregate of some $13.9 million for the proposed acquisition of Tertius Development Pte Ltd, including the assignment of specified shareholders’ loans. The vendors are two individuals.

With the deal, STC will gain control of Chancery Five, a project with 12 freehold strata bungalows at 5 Chancery Lane. The development is next to Anglo-Chinese School (Primary) and Anglo-Chinese School (Barker Road).

Each bungalow will have five rooms, an entertainment room, an attic, a private basement car park, a private swimming pool and a lift spread across two levels. The homes will range from 4,800 square feet to 6,500 sq ft in size.

Tertius’ commitment to the project – including land cost, development cost and incidental selling costs – up to 2012 is estimated by the purchaser at about $58.24 million.

Eric Teng, chief executive of STC’s property arm, told BT that his unit has been looking out for opportunities in the property market. He has not set a date for the launch of Chancery Five. The project is under construction and could obtain temporary occupation permit in April next year.

According to caveats lodged with the Urban Redevelopment Authority, a detached house at Chancery Lane changed hands at $900 per sq ft in November last year.

STC’s acquisition is expected to be completed in April. The company does not foresee the purchase having a significant impact on its financial position for the year ending Dec 31, 2010.

STC shares rose five cents yesterday to close at $4.15.

Source : Business Times – 3 Mar 2010