Monthly Archives: March 2010

Universal Studios Singapore opens to public from Mar 18

Universal Studios Singapore in Resorts World Sentosa (RWS) will be open to the public from March 18 at 8.28am.

The world’s first Far Far Away Castle, located in Universal Studios Singapore (©2009 Resorts World Sentosa)

But the park’s first guests will be staff of RWS, who will be able to enjoy the rides from March 13 with their families.

Universal Studios Singapore will bring to life the best movie-themed attractions packed within seven zones.

RWS said it is possible that certain attractions may become temporarily unavailable during the preview phase, as Universal Studios Singapore continues its technical and creative adjustments.

Ticket prices will then be partially rebated with S$15 worth of shopping and dining vouchers valid for use at the theme park.

Robin Goh, assistant director for Communication at RWS, said that during the soft opening period, there will be limits on the number of guests.

“This is to ensure there will be a phased run in of the operations within the opening of the park gradually, and this number will be increased in time. When we are fully operational, we are expecting 4.5 million visitors to Universal Studios alone a year,” Mr Goh said.

Ticket sales will begin at 9am on March 10. They can be made online, via phone bookings and at the ticket booths at the theme park.

Singaporeans and Permanent Residents holding onto DBS credit cards can expect S$6 off regular ticket prices.

Source : Channel News Asia – 5 Mar 2010

HDB extends Second Concessionary Loan to more flat buyers

HDB resale flat owners must occupy their flats for at least three years before they can sell them. The move is to further curb speculation in the HDB resale market.

But the board’s also extending help to genuine buyers by revising its second concessionary loan policy.

An HDB flat is meant for residents to live in not for short-term profit. It’s a message that housing authorities have repeatedly stressed in recent months.

And now, the government is acting further to keep speculators out.

From Friday, if you buy a non-subsidised resale flat without taking a CPF grant, you can only sell it after three years.

With this change, HDB said demand in the resale market will more accurately reflect the interest of genuine buyers.

Also with effect from Friday, if you buy a non-subsidised resale flat, without taking a CPF grant, you can only sell it after three years.

Previously, such buyers on an HDB loan have a minimum occupation period of two and a half years.

For those on bank loans, it’s one year.

All households can now apply for a second mortgage loan from the housing board for their next flat.

This excludes those who have disposed of their private properties.
But under new rules, they can only keep S$25,000 or half of cash proceeds, whichever is higher.

So for instance, a couple sells their existing flat first, and gets S$80,000 in cash and S$60,000 in CPF refund.

To pay for their next HDB flat, they will use half of their cash, or S$40,000, and the entire CPF refund.

In turn, HDB will grant them a loan that is S$100,000 less and the couple keeps S$40,000 in cash.

If the couple buys another flat before selling their existing one, the HDB will give them a loan based on commercial rates.

They will also have to draw down on their CPF balance.

Once they sell their old flat, say after six months, they have to redeem this loan using part of their cash proceeds and the CPF refund.

Interest on the HDB loan will then revert to concessionary rates.

Previously, only those moving to bigger flats were eligible for the loan.

But authorities said this may have driven some to upgrade even though they cannot afford it.

National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan said: “The changes to the second concessionary loan will help Singaporeans right-size to a home that they can sustain over the long term. It will help homebuyers manage their finances for their flat purchase upstream, and avoid financial difficulties downstream.”

The minister also urged buyers to choose within their means.

Source : Channel News Asia – 5 Mar 10